Modems and routers are used in many homes, offices, and even in public places. Now, the combo modem and routers are available. These combo modems and routers allow you to enjoy the benefit of both devices in a single device. CenturyLink is a telecommunications company within the United States, and it is a popular choice for many individuals that need a digital subscriber line.
Finding the best modem that works with your DSL can be cumbersome. That is why we have compiled a list of our top 8 CenturyLink Modems. All the items on this list are modem routers; they are compatible with ADSL, VDSL, or both and are relatively affordable. The modem routers on this list range from basic to advanced use devices.
If you’ve been out there looking for an Internet provider, you’ve likely come across many. However, there are probably two names that you are hearing or seeing more than most. This would be Xfinity and CenturyLink. Both are titans in the DSL industry, as they provide DSL networking along with a wide range of other security services. Regardless of which provider you decide to go with, you’ll need a DSL modem.
Most DSL modem manufacturers design modems specifically for certain ISPs. For instance, it is likely that you will only find modems that are compatible with CenturyLink or Xfinity. You won’t likely find modems that work with both providers. How do you know which are compatible with which provider? The best answer is to head over to CenturyLink’s website.
While some of the modems on the list are better than the others, they will allow link up and work with CenturyLink Internet services. How do you know which are better? There is no denying that the long list of names makes the selection process all that more difficult, but before you discover how to determine the best, there are some other things that you need to consider.
First off, you don’t even have to buy your own modem. You can just rent one from the company for $10 a month. Of course, this is something that’ll add up over time, and buying that new modem will practically pay for itself. Not only this, but you’ll likely get better performance out of a modem that you purchase out of pocket because CenturyLink will only provide you with the most basic of models. And, they might even be used by previous customers.
As of right now, CenturyLink offers 6 unique subscription plans. This would be the Life 15 plan that offers 15Mbps of speed, the Life 20 that offers 20Mbps of speed, the Life 40 that offers 40Mbps of speed, the Life 80 that offers 80Mbps of speed, the Life 100 that offers 100Mbps of speed, and the Fiber Internet, which guarantees anywhere from 900 to 940Mbps of speed.
These various data plans only make the modem selection process that much more difficult because you’ll want to match your new modem to your plan. For instance, a modem capable of 940Mbps is going to cost more than one capable of 80Mbps. On the other hand, what’s the point of buying a 940Mbps capable modem if you are only going with the Life 100 plan or 40Mbps plan?
We have also listed the pros and cons of each item on this list to help you make an informed decision on which modem to purchase for your CenturyLink DSL.
What is the Best DSL Modem for CenturyLink?
Our Top 8 Best CenturyLink Modem of 2020
You’d always have the option of upgrading without having to worry about replacing the modem, but would this really be viable? Most people stick with the same Internet plans for years at a time. As was mentioned above, you have to be somewhat cautious about the modem that CenturyLink provides you with. This is not to say that they won’t guarantee or replace them.
This is just to say that you’ll want to wary of the condition as well as the performance of the said modem. However, this is something that you can skip altogether when you opt to buy your own. Newer modems and routers make it easier to connect newer devices to wireless networks, you’ll likely get enhanced security features, and you’ll know exactly what you are paying for.
What modems are compatible with CenturyLink? Check out the top 8 that will work flawlessly with the CenturyLink Network.
#1. D-Link ADSL2+ Modem Router (DSL-520B) Review
The D-Link DSL-520B N300 DSL is one of our top picks because it is small and works well with CenturyLink internet. This modem is available on Amazon $$. This price is affordable when you are shopping for modem routers.
This product was initially released in the 1990s as a modem. However, the newer version of this device is a modem router. The maximum speed of this device is 300 Mbps. However, it may not work at such speed in your home. Due to the age of this device, it does not upload or download as fast as newer router modems.
The D-Link DSL-520B N300, DSL, is compatible with ADSL but does not work with VDSL. The modem also has two ports that can be used to connect devices to the wireless network.
The D-Link DSL-520B N300 is no doubt excellent value for money. To help you decide if you should purchase this modem router, below is a list of the pros and cons of the D-Link modem router.
Here are some things that we like about this modem router
1. The D-Link DSL-520B N300 is small and can be placed almost anywhere. The small size of this router makes it ideal for small homes, and you can travel with the modem router easily.
2. This is an N300 DSL Modem router. Because of this, the modem router is fast and has an excellent wireless range.
3. There is an ethernet port in this modem router. An ethernet cable can be used to connect a device to the modem router. The ethernet cable will allow you to access the internet even if you are using a device without wireless capability.
4. You can connect your phone to this modem router. If you have a digital subscriber line service in your telephone service, you can connect your telephone line to the D-Link modem router. When you connect to the DSL port, you will be able to transmit the internet connection from your telephone line to your wireless modem.
1. This is a simple modem router without any extra features. If you want to use your modem router for particular purposes or combine VDSL, you will be unsatisfied with this modem router.
2. The D-Link N300 is incompatible with the VDSL. VDSL is faster than ADSL, so while this device is fast, if you need the benefits of VDSL, this device will is not the best choice for you.
3. There is only one ethernet port in this modem router. You will be unable to connect more than one ethernet line to this modem at a time. If that is a feature that you will need, you should get a different modem.
4. There is no USB port in this modem. This makes it impossible to connect any phone, some laptops, or tablets to this modem.
If you want a primary modem router that takes up little space and does not have any frills, you should purchase the D-Link DSL-520B N300 DSL Modem Router.
#2. Motorola MD1600 Review
The Motorola MD1600 Modem Router is one of the pricier modem routers on this list. This modem router is compatible with the different ADSL and VDSL versions. The broad range of compatibility this device offers makes it a great choice for individuals who wish to purchase a modem router. While this device does not have the basic interface of other modem routers on this list, you can install it easily.
The ports on this modem router enhance the connectivity of the device and widen the number of devices that can access a wireless network using this modem. A benefit of this modem is that it can be used as a tool for fast file sharing (1).
We recommend the Motorola MD1600; but to help you decide if you should purchase this modem, below are the pros and cons of this modem router.
1. This modem router is ADSL and VDSL compatible.
2. The Motorola MD1600 Modem Router has a USB port. This USB port can be used to connect the modem router to other devices. You can also connect a storage device to the modem router. The data on the storage device will then be made available to all the devices connected to the wireless network.
3. The modem router has ethernet ports. These ports can be used to connect devices like phones, tablets, printers, and fax machines to the wireless network. If you have a device that is not within the range of the modem, you can use the ethernet cable to connect your device to the internet.
4. Setting up this modem is easy. The setup wizard handles the installation process; all you have to do is follow the instructions.
5. This modem router has decent coverage. If you live in a medium-sized home, you will not need to purchase a wireless network extender.
6. You can create guest networks using this modem router.
7. The Motorola MD1600 has advanced features that basic router modems do not have. These include modem port forwarding and virtual private network (VPN) support.
Cons of the Motorola MD1600
1. This modem router is quite expensive. It may be an expensive and unnecessary purchase if you only use it for basic needs.
2. The modem router is not compatible with the bonded digital subscriber line. Bonded DSLs can help you get faster internet speed, so the inability to use this in conjunction with this modem router is a disadvantage.
3. You will need to purchase a DSL filter separately if you want to use this modem with a telephone line.
#3. ZyXEL PK5001z Modem Review
If you are looking for a modem router that can rival more expensive modem routers but with a reduced price tag, we recommend the ZyXEL PK5001z CenturyLink Modem Router.
The modem router works well with the different versions of VDSL and ADSL. If you wish to use the wired connection option, you will be pleased to know that the modem router has DSL, phone and ethernet ports. Setting up this modem router is also easy, and you can connect to the modem easily using the WPS button.
This modem is compatible with older technology and devices. The user interface of this modem is basic and can be used with most devices. The LED lights on this modem help you identify what is working or what is not functional.
We recommend this modem, but to help you decide if you should purchase it, here are the things we like and dislike about the ZyXEL PK5001z
Things We Like about the ZyXEL PK5001z
1. The modem is compatible with ADSL 2, ADSL+, and VDSL.
2. This modem router is very fast with a wireless transfer rate of 300Mbps. The wired transfer rate of the modem varies.
3. The modem is backward compatible. This means that you can connect and use the modem router with older devices.
4. The ZyXEL PK5001z CenturyLink Modem Router is reasonably priced and works as well as some higher-end modems.
5. You will not need to purchase a splitter. This is because it has a phone port and DSL port on the modem router.
6. There are four Ethernet ports in this modem. Hence, The modem is suitable for people who do not have wireless devices. Furthermore, if you live in a large home and the signal is weak in some areas, you can use an ethernet wire to ensure that you receive a steady and robust signal.
7. This modem has a security protocol that you can customize. Using the security option, you can dictate the devices that can access your wireless network.
8. Setting up the ZyXEL PK5001z CenturyLink is easy. You can set up and operate this modem without external help. To connect new devices to the wireless network, you can use the WPS button.
Things We don’t like about the ZyXEL PK5001z
1. This modem does not have a USB port. Hence, you cannot connect some devices to this modem router.
2. You cannot create guest networks with this modem. If that is something you need, you will not be satisfied with this modem.
3. There are no advanced features in the modem router.
We recommend the ZyXEL PK5001z to individuals who want the quality and benefits of a more expensive modem router without spending a lot of money.
#4. ActionTec’s CenturyLink-branded GT784WN 2-in-1 modem router
If you are trying to save money or stay within a budget, the ActionTec CenturyLink-branded GT784WN 2-in-1 modem router is the best choice for you. This router retails for almost $50. While this modem router has a plain and simplistic look, it is quite useful, and for the price, the modem is a steal.
Connecting your device to a wireless network using this modem is simplified with the use of the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button. If your mobile or computer device does not have wireless capabilities, you can also connect to the ActionTec modem router using a cord or tether. The modem is also compatible with different versions of asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL).
To help you determine if the CenturyLink Modem is the right choice for you, below are the pros and cons of this modem router.
Pros of the ActionTec’s GT784WN
1. The modem has multiple ports that be easily used for wired connections.
2. ActionTec GT784WN modem can be used with different versions of ADSL.
3. At its best, you can use this modem router to download at a speed of 24 Mbps.
4. The range of the modem router is considerable and good for the amount that you are paying. If you have a large home or wish to use this modem router in a large area, you can purchase an extender.
5. This device is backward compatible. Backward compatibility means that this modern can work with older pieces of technology or devices that have wireless capability.
6. This modem has an auto-detect wizard. Hence, when you take the modem router out of the box, you will not need to do any complex installations. The easy setup makes the modem router an excellent choice for people who are not technology savvy.
7. The modem has a security protocol that can be set up quickly.
There are many reasons why we recommend this modem router. However, after assessing the specifications of the router and reading the reviews written by users of this modem, we have discovered some cons that may influence your decision to purchase this modem.
1. This modem is not compatible with a very high-speed digital subscriber line (VDSL). VDSL is a better version of ADSL, and it may be preferred by many modem users who need fast wireless networks.
2. The wireless range of this modem may be insufficient to reach all areas in a large home.
3. A few individuals who have purchased and used this modem have complained that every 15-30 minutes, the connection drops. You may have to reset and reconnect it when that happens. This can be distracting and inconvenient.
ActionTec’s CenturyLink-branded GT784WN 2-in-1 modem router is an ideal purchase for someone who is fine with the speed of ADSL and lives in a small to medium-sized home. Furthermore, it is a great choice if you wish to purchase an affordable modem router.
#5. TRENDnet TEW-816DRM AC750 Review
The TRENDnet TEW-816DRM AC750 modem is second on this list because it is affordable yet reliable. This modem is not as cheap as the ActionTec modem, but it is not expensive either.
This modem router retails for almost $70, and while it looks sturdy and lacks any bells and whistles, this modem router is compatible with ASDV, ASDL 2, VDSL 2, and ISP. Also, this modem router supports wired connections for devices that cannot connect to wireless networks. Devices can be connected to this modem using any of the available ports.
To give you a better analysis of this modem router, we have examined its specifications and the users’ experience with this modem router. Below are the advantages and disadvantages of the TRENDnet TEW-816DRM AC750.
1. The TRENDnet AC750 Modem can work with ASDV, ASDL 2, VDSL 2, and ISP. The wide range of compatibility makes this router ideal for almost anyone who wishes to purchase it.
2. This modem is affordable and worth the price. If you are on a budget but would still like to buy a reliable modem, we recommend the TRENDnet AC750.
3. There are six ports in this modem. Two of the six ports are USB 3.0, and the other four are Ethernet ports. These ports will allow you to connect ethernet cables to your modem and access the wireless network. The USB ports can be used to connect devices without an ethernet port such as tablets, some laptops, and phones to the wireless network.
4. It is easy to set up this modem after purchase. You do not require the services of a technician. When you receive the modem, there will be a quick installation guide in the packet. Furthermore, the modem has an installation CD that you can use to install the drivers for the modem router.
5. The TRENDnet AC750 Modem operates at a breakneck speed of about 300 Mbps.
6. This modem has protocols for security setup. These include WEP, WPA2-PSK, and WPA2-RADIUS.
7. There are settings for parental control. If you do not want your children to access certain websites, and Ip addresses, you can set a parental lock on this modem. You can also choose which and what kind of devices can connect to the wireless network.
8. The wireless range of this modem is sufficient for a medium-sized house.
9. You can set up Guest networks on this router.
The following are the disadvantages of this router;
1. The TRENDnet AC750 does not support bonded ADSL. Bonded ADSL refers to when you combine multiple asymmetric digital subscriber lines to make one line which will create a faster upload and download speed.
2. The ethernet ports on this modem are not gigabit speeds.
If you are looking for a modem that is compatible with multiple subscriber lines, you should consider the TRENDnet AC750. While this modem router will not work with bonded DSL, it is speedy, affordable, and easy to install.
#6. Linksys X2000 Wireless Review
The Linksys X2000 Wireless Modem Router is an ADSL compatible modem router. This modem has a built-in DSL and a 2.5Ghz band. Both of these features ensure that the modem router operates at a steady but fast speed. It can work at a speed of up to 300 Mbps and the multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) antenna on the modem router ensure wide wireless coverage.
In addition to its compatibility with different wireless devices, this modem is also compatible with devices without wireless settings. The modem has three ethernet ports that you can use to access the wireless network even if you do not have a wireless device.
If security is your concern, you should know that the Linksys X2000 Wireless Modem Router has advanced security options. The modem uses WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI to prevent WIFI leeching and unauthorized network users.
When you purchase this modem, you will receive an installation guide which you can use to install the device easily. Connecting new devices to this modem router is also simplified and can be done with the WPS button. Importantly, this is not a cheap modem router, but its price can be justified when the features of the modem router are assessed.
Pros of the Linksys X2000
1. The Linksys X2000 Wireless Modem Router has a MIMO antenna which ensures that there is broad network coverage even in large homes. The MIMO antenna can also save you money because you will not have to purchase a wireless network extender.
2. The modem router is high-speed and has a speed of up to 300 Mbps. If speed is a priority then this modem will be satisfactory.
3. This modem router supports ADSL and other ADSL versions
4. There are ports in this modem which will enable you to connect other devices to your modem router. Furthermore, there are three ethernet routers in this device. The routers can be used to connect printers, scanners, computers, and many other devices to the internet.
5. The ethernet connection is very fast, so the speed is not compromised when you connect to this modem router via the ethernet port.
6. There are advanced security settings on this device. The security protocols will prevent threats from accessing your network.
7. You can set up 2-3 guest networks on this modem router.
Cons of Linksys X2000
1. This router does not support VDSL. This is not a deal-breaker however, for the price, most people would prefer if this modem were VDSL compatible.
2. The ethernet ports do not operate or transfer information at gigabit speed.
3. There are no USB ports in this modem router. This makes it inconvenient to connect a device that uses a USB cord. To achieve this, you will need to purchase an ethernet to USB converter or adapter.
4. The Linksys X2000 Wireless Modem Router is not cheap. If you are looking for a simple modem router without any extra features, this may be too pricey for you.
If you need a fast modem router with broad coverage and a few extra features, we recommend the Linksys X2000.
#7. ZyXEL C1100z Review
The ZyXEL C1100z Router is on this list because of its features. We recommend this modem router to individuals who would prefer a modem router with a few advanced features. Significantly, some individuals may find this modem router hard to use.
However, if you are looking for a device that is a step above the basic range, this modem is for you. Another reason we are recommending this device; is the great reviews it has from many people who have purchased and used it.
The C1100z modem supports ADSL, VDSL, and is compatible with older devices; this increases the number of people that can use this modem router. Furthermore, there are ports at the back of this modem router that you can use for wired connections.
To ensure that you get an even assessment of this modem router, we have listed the pros and cons of the ZyXEL C1100z CenturyLink Modem Router below.
Pros of the ZyXEL C1100z
1. This modem router can work with ADSL2 and VDSL2. This means that wireless connections through this router will be fast.
2. The modem router has a phone jack or port. This can be used to connect your mobile device to the modem router if your mobile device does not have wireless support. A DSL and phone cable will be provided when you purchase this modem router.
3. There are four Ethernet ports in this modem router. You can use these ports to connect devices that require wired connections. Furthermore, ethernet cables can give network access to devices that may be out of wireless range.
4. Connecting to new devices is an easy step. All you need to do is use the WPS button. Similarly, if you follow the written instructions, setting up this modem router is a simple process.
5. When you are using this device with the CenturyLink network, the device auto-detects the network settings, and this makes the setup process easy.
6. The ZyXEL C1100z CenturyLink Modem Router has a 1-year warranty. Even after the warranty expires, you can contact customer support if the need arises.
7. This modem is backward compatible. Hence, you will be able to use it with older technological devices.
Cons of the ZyXEL C1100z
1. Users of this modem have complained that the coverage is not broad. If you have a large home, you may need to consider a different modem router or purchase a wireless extender.
We recommend the ZyXEL C1100z to individuals who need a fast modem with a few extra features.
#8. Zoom Telephonics ADSL Modem Router 5790 Review
The Zoom X7n Model 5790 is an affordable modem router that can work with the different versions of an asymmetric digital subscriber line.
This modem is an N300 router, and it is operating at a fast speed. At its peak, this modem router can upload and download at a speed of 300 Mpbs. However, this modem router is not compatible with VDSL. This is because this device uses older modem technology which inhibits the speed of this modem router.
The Zoom Telephonics ADSL Modem Router has multiple ports that will improve how you can use the modem router.
This modem router is basic and has a few advanced features. However, we have examined how the device performs and examined what the users of this modem router have said. Below are the pros and cons of the Zoom Telephonics ADSL Modem Router.
1. The Zoom Telephonics ADSL Modem Router is a device which is easy for most people to use.
2. The modem router is affordable and is great value for money.
3. This modem is fast, especially when you consider that it is not compatible with VDSL and somewhat hindered by older technology.
4. These are four ethernet cables in this modem router. This will allow you to connect your devices to the modem router comfortably. If you have devices that do not have the wireless connectivity feature, you can gain access to the wireless network using the ethernet cable.
5. The modem has a DSL line filter. The DSL line filter helps to reduce line interference when the phone and DSL service share the same Digital Subscriber Line.
6. There are basic security and firewall capabilities in this modem router. This will allow you to decide who uses or has access to your wireless network.
7. This modem router has a one-year warranty. If your modem has a problem before your warranty expires, you can contact the company for repair or a replacement.
1. This modem cannot work with VDSL. A very high-speed digital subscriber line will provide you with a faster speed than an asymmetric digital subscriber line. Hence, the download and upload speed of this modem router may be insufficient for some individuals.
2. The ethernet lines do not operate at gigabit speed. Importantly, this is not of huge significance for most people.
3. There is no USB port in this modem router. A USB port is useful for connecting devices without wireless compatibility to the modem router. While most devices can connect to the internet using the wireless network, this port will be missed by individuals who need it. The USB port can also be used for file sharing.
The Zoom Telephonics ADSL Modem Router is perfect for individuals who need a basic and affordable modem router.
We recommend these eight modem routers because of their price, features, coverage, speed, and because they can be used with devices that do not have wireless capability.
Read also: Best Cox Modems.
CenturyLink Compatible Modems Buying Guide
DSL is an Internet service that has improved through the years. Newer technologies available today allow for faster and more reliable connections. When selecting your new modem, you’ll want to take this into account along with a variety of other things. That said, your end choice will heavily weigh on the type of plan that you are going with. Look at your current plan and see what speeds you are promised.
You’ll want a modem that can match what you are paying for. Also, consider if you might upgrade in the future. Will there be a viable need for you to increase speed? If so, you might want to go ahead and make the investment of the more powerful modem. Couple this with the most prominent features of any modem and you’ll have the perfect modem for your specific needs narrowed down. What are the most important features?
- DSL Technology Capabilities
Not only will you need to consider the speed of the plan you are choosing, but you’ll also need to consider the technology of that plan. For instance, when choosing your modem, you’ll notice that you’ll have options between ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL2, and GPON. These are basically telecommunication technologies, which determine how data is sent and received to and from the modem.
ADSL is superior to that of DSL because it allows for much higher data transfer rates. ADSL2 is twice as quick as ADSL. However, if you don’t choose a modem that supports the right technology for your plan, you won’t be able to take advantage of the extra transfer speed.
- Wireless Technology Capabilities
You’re in luck because every modem on this list is a combo, which means it has a built-in router. However, if you want good wireless speeds, you’ll need to consider at least a dual-band modem or higher. The Wi-Fi 6 wireless protocol will even offer nearly the same speeds that you’ll get when you are connected via Ethernet cable.
You’ll also want to consider the location of the modem, as certain modems are only capable of sending a signal so far. The 802.11n technology modems only offer 460ft of the wireless signal, whereas the more advanced 802.11ac offers 820ft. If you need more, you might have to end up buying a separate router or an extender of some sort.
- Wired Ethernet Ports
Speaking of wired connections, these are something that is usually faster and more reliable. If you are going to be wiring in multiple devices to the DSL, you’ll want to make sure that the modem can support them. Most models come with one or two ports, however, all the ones on this come with at least 4. You’ll also want to consider the speeds of these ports. Some of these ports are capable of offering Gigabit-fast speeds, where some won’t make it past 100Mbps.
- The Firmware
You’ll also need to access and upgrade your modem’s firmware from time to time. This is only something that can be done through vectoring upgrade firmware. Not having this capability could make your modem non-compatible. Just being able to stay in touch with your network’s settings in a nice feature. Being able to alter them is even nicer, but pertinent in some situations.
- Remote Capabilities
Some people might need to allow multiple sources of Internet traffic to connect to their network. This is something that comes in handy for remote video conferencing, HD streaming, and other speed-based activities. You won’t have this kind of capability if you don’t opt for a modem that is CenturyLink Broadband Remote Access Server (CBRAS) compatible.
Never invest in a modem without some kind of firewall of encryption software. The Internet is just too risky these days!
At the end of the day, the goal is to save money. That’s the whole point of buying this extra modem, right? So, why pay $150 for a high-tech modem if you are only going to use it for a year? Consider how long you plan on using the modem and set your price based on that information.
Frequently Asked Questions on CenturyLink Modems
Which modems are compatible with CenturyLink?
There are at least 31 compatible modems. You can find the full list on CenturyLink’s official website.
What about Netgear modems?
Most Netgear modems will work with CenturyLink’s standard ADSL plan. Some of the newest Netgear modems might even work with the VDSL. The only problem is, you likely won’t be privy to Netgear support if needed.
What is the best DSL modem/router for CenturyLink?
When it comes to general modern reliability, you cannot go wrong with either the Actiontec C3000A and Zyxel C3000Z. They might not be the most sophisticated in terms of technology, but they are solid modems for the ADSL. They both offer 20Mbps connection speeds in conjunction with the ADSL transfer, which is what common households utilize. Another good point, they both come with dual-band 802.11ac technology that offers better speed and wider wireless coverage.
What does it cost to just rent a modem from CenturyLink?
Renting a modem from CenturyLink will run you right around $10.00 a month. Purchasing a modem might cost you $100 upfront, but it’ll pay for itself in just a little under a year.
Will my router work with CenturyLink?
As long as your modem is supported by CenturyLink, you can utilize it. At some point, you might have to end up contacting CenturyLink technical support to get login credentials, but this can be done easily enough.
You can see there are a lot of things to consider when choosing a modem for your CenturyLink connection. However, it is the connection speed along with the DSL technologies that are the most important. Just keep in mind that just because a certain speed is listed on the modem, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be able to achieve that exact speed.
Just like everything else in life, there are a lot of factors that can determine exactly how much speed your modem produces. If you are going to go with CenturyLink Internet, buying your own modem is without a doubt the way to go. Not only will you be privy to support around the clock, but CenturyLink will have step-by-step setup directions on their website.