Which modems are compatible with Cox? Trying to choose what modem you should use in your home or office can be confusing. There are hundreds of modems on Amazon and many of these modems have good reviews. The problem with buying just any modem is that the device may not be compatible with your internet service provider. The impact of the incompatibility is that your internet speed may be compromised.
In other cases, the connection may be reset or disconnected repeatedly. Both of these issues ruin the user’s workflow. The best thing to do is to choose a modem that is compatible with your internet service provider.
In this article, we will provide you with a list of our 5 best COX Modems. The modems on this list are compatible with Cox. To provide you with this list, we have assessed the price, speed, appearance and user interface of these modems. These are factors that usually influence some people’s decisions when choosing a modem.
After assessing these factors, we picked our top 5 modem for Cox.
Even with this list, it may be difficult for you to choose which modem you should purchase. Hence, we explained the features of our top picks and also listed the pros and cons of each modem.
Regardless of what your budget is and what your needs are, there is a modem for you in this lineup.
Best modem for Cox internet
1 D-Link DCM301
The D-Link DCM301 is one of our favorite Cox compatible modems because it is affordable and retails for less. This modem can support DOCSIS 3.0 and IPv6. It also has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream bonded channels which have a speed of 343 Mbps and 150 Mbps respectively.
The D-Link DCM301 is backwards compatible and it can function with DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0. It is important to note though that DOCSIS 2.0 is up to 8 times slower than DOCSIS 3.0.
This modem is sleek and has 6 indicator lights which can show you the activities of the modem. The lights represent the power, downstream, upstream, online, bonded connection and local-area network (LAN).
There is a single ethernet port on this modem. If you want a wireless network, you will need to purchase a compatible router separately. However, setting up this modem is quite easy.
To use this modem, plug the coaxial cable into the power source, then contact your internet service provider. The device also has a 1-year warranty. If your modem malfunctions before the warranty expires, you can contact the manufacturer or the retailer where you purchased the modem.
The D-Link DCM301 is a simple, affordable modem without any frills and that is why we love it. We understand that you may wonder whether you should purchase this modem. To help you make your decision, we have compiled a list of the pros and cons of the D-Link DCM301.
1. This modem uses bonded channels to ensure that upstream and downstream speed is fast and stable.
2. There is a single gigabit ethernet port in this modem. A gigabit ethernet port can allow you to transfer data at the speed of 1 gigabit per second. You can also use the ethernet port to connect devices without wireless capability to the internet.
3. The D-Link DCM301 is backwards compatible. This means that it supports and work with older hardware and in some cases, software.
4. The Indicator lights on this modem are a simple way of identifying what feature is on and which one is not. These lights are especially useful to people who have little understanding of how modems work.
5. It is easy to set up this modem for use. All you need to do is plug the cable into the wall. To connect this modem to a compatible router, you will need to follow the instructions on the modem’s manual.
6. This modem has a warranty that is valid for one year. If it malfunctions due to no fault of yours, it may be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer. Furthermore, you will have access to technical support even after the period of the warranty expires.
7. The D-Link DCM301 is compatible with many Internet service providers. If you choose to change your service provider in the future, you will not need to replace your modem.
8. This modem is affordable.
9. There are vents on the modem that helps the modem stay cool.
1. While the 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream bonded channel are efficient, they are smaller than many other modems on this list.
If you need an affordable but backwards compatible modem, the D-Link DCM301 is our top pick. This modem is great for home use or casual internet use.
2 NETGEAR CM1000 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem
The Netgear CM1000 is a high-speed cable modem that uses the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology. The DOCSIS 3.1 is almost 10 times faster than DOCSIS 3.0. This modem still works with DOCSIS 3.0 because the modem is backwards compatible.
This modem has 32 download channels and 8 upload channels. The use of twice the normal bonded channels and newer technology in this device contributes to the astounding speed of this cable modem.
At its peak, this modem can download or transfer data at a rate of 1 gigabit per second. This speed will allow you to download or stream 4k videos, and play games online without lagging. It is important to note that the speed you receive on the modem is dependent on different factors which include:
– the internet service provider you use
– the subscription plan you paid for
– the network in the region where you reside and the how compatible your modem is with your ISP.
There is one ethernet port on this modem. The gigabit ethernet port can be used to connect the modem to the wifi router. You can also connect your computer to the modem using the ethernet port.
If you love sleek pieces of technology, you will love this modem. The Netgear CM1000 has a modern look. Encased in black plastic, this sleek device can be placed almost anywhere because of its size. Even more appealing is the fact that the design of this modem will allow it to blend in with furniture or your electronics.
These are the features of the Netgear CM1000. The advantages and disadvantages of this high-speed modem are listed below.
The Netgear CM1000 is a ultra high-speed modem. The DOCSIS 3.1 technology and 32×8 bonded channels in this modem enhances the speed of the device. Many high-speed modems can work at 300 Mbps in the right condition.
However, this ultra high-speed model has the potential to work at a speed of 1 gigabit per second. The features of the modem also ensure that tasking internet activities are handled efficiently to ensure that the connection remains stable even with heavy use.
2. Despite the advanced features that this modem has, it can be used with a plethora of devices. This modem is backwards compatible and so, it can be used with older devices like routers and computers.
3. The Netgear CM1000 has a gigabit ethernet port which you can connect to your wifi router If you want a wireless connection. The port can also be used to connect your modem to your computer or laptop. Regardless of what you connect to your modem, the gigabit ethernet port ensures that the transfers are fast.
4. This modem has a 1-year warranty. This warranty will be honored if you purchased your modem from an authorized seller. After buying your modem, you will also be given technical assistance for 90 days.
1. This modem does not come with a router. To use wifi, you need to purchase a compatible router and connect it to your modem.
Netgear CM1000 is the best choice for heavy data users. We recommend all the modems listed above but this modem uses DOCSIS 3.1 technology to ensure ultra-fast speed is possible. This modem is the most expensive one on this list. If cost is no barrier, you should purchase the Netgear CM1000 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem.
When you want to get a new modem, you have 2 options. First, you can rent a modem from Cox. Renting a modem from Cox internet may seem cheap but you will need to pay a monthly fee for the duration of the time you use this modem. The second option is to purchase a modem. If you will be using the modem for longer than a few months, you should just purchase your modem.
3 TP-Link 16×4 AC1750 (Archer CR700)
The TP-Link AC1750 is another great modem that can be used in conjunction with the Cox network. This modem is fast and provides stable connections.
The efficiency of this device can be attributed to the fact that it supports DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11ac technologies. Furthermore, there are bonded channels (16 downstream and 4 upstream) in this device.
You can use a cable to connect your device to this modem. A wired connection could be as fast as 680 Mbps. However, if you will be using your modem to create a wireless network, you can easily achieve this without a router.
This modem is a router combo and in wireless mode, it can transfer data at a speed of 1750 Mbps with a dual 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bandwidth. This modem has 6 inbuilt antennas and signal amplifiers which improves network signals.
These signal amplifiers can also aid the modem to bypass wifi interference that are caused by other wireless devices. All these features make the TP-Link AC1750 the device you should purchase if you want to watch HD videos, stream high definition movies, and play games online.
Another feature of this device is the advanced security setting. Using this setting, you can protect your network and decide who can connect to the internet. You can also create a guest network within your security settings.
In spite of the fact that we like the features of this modem, we would like to provide you with a balanced assessment of the TP-Link AC1750. Below are the pros and cons of this device.
1. This device is a modem router combo. This means that you will not need to purchase a separate router when you want to create a wireless network.
2. The TP-Link AC1750 has dual bandwidth that improves the efficiency of your network. The 2.4Ghz band can be used to handle small and less demanding tasks such as sending emails and surfing the web. The 5Ghz band will handle more tasking needs like downloading large files and watching HD videos.
3. This modem has 4 ethernet ports that transfer data 10 times faster than what is the norm. The ethernet port can be used to connect your modem router to devices like a desktop, printer, fax machine, and laptops.
4. The TP-Link AC1750 is great for medium to large-sized homes because of its broad Wifi coverage.
5. This modem has 2 USB ports. You can connect your storage devices to these ports and share files or data with all the devices connected to the network. You can also use the USB port to connect the modem-router to devices that do not have the wireless capability.
6. This modem uses 16×4 Channel Bonding. Channel bonding enhances the upstream and downstream speed of your device.
7. Setting up the TP-Link AC1750 is simple. To use this modem, you can plug the cable into a power source and call your service provider to activate your internet service. If you want to use this device as a router, no extra set up is required.
8. You can create a guest network on this modem router. The TP-Link AC1750 can be used as a router and it has security settings that will prevent threats or strangers from having access to your wireless network, However, if you need to provide individuals with a wireless connection, You can achieve this without giving out your security key. You can create a guest network or networks that your guests can use.
9. This modem allows you to set and customize parental controls. With this modem, you can decide which devices can connect to the network and what sort of URLs the network can access. This option is quite handy if you are a parent.
10. The TP-Link AC1750 has a 2-year warranty. If your device malfunctions before the warranty expires, you can contact customer support. Even after the warranty expires, you will still receive technical support.
1. A few owners of the TP-Link AC1750 have complained that the internet connection drops randomly.
We recommend the TP-Link AC1750 to individuals who stream and download large files but would also like to use their modem as a wireless device. If you are trying to cut cost, you can do so by purchasing a modem router combo.
4 Arris Motorola SB6121
This is a cable modem that is compatible with the Cox network. Arris Motorola SB6121 has 4 downstream and 4 upstream bonded channels. At its best, this modem could have a download speed of 172 Mbps and an upload speed of 131 Mbps. This speed will be satisfactory in a home or within a place where the internet use is not tasking. The speed provided by this modem is sufficient to stream a HD movie, play multi user games online and make video calls.
The Arris Motorola SB6121 has a single ethernet port . The gigabit port allows fast data transfer and can be used to connect the modem to devices like a router.
Notably, this cable modem does not have any buttons. However, it does have indicator LED lights which represents the activities of the components in the modem.
There are many things that we like about the Arris Motorola SB6121. After examining the features of the modem and customer reviews of this modem, there are some things we did not like about the modem as well. Here are the pros and cons of this cable modem.
1. This cable modem is quite affordable. If you need a basic modem without any advanced setting, you will find this modem satisfactory.
2. If you purchase a new modem and make the purchase from the official retailer, you can get a 2-year limited warranty. If you have a problem with your modem, you will be able to contact the manufacturer for a repair or replacement.
3. The gigabit ethernet port is the only port on this modem. A gigabit ethernet port is almost 10 times faster than fast ethernet ports.
4. The Motorola SB6121 uses DOCSIS 3.0 technology which is 4 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0.
5. It is easy to set up this modem because there is no need to install any drivers or extra software.
6. This modem is quite small and is great for small spaces. If you would like to travel with your modem, you should consider buying this cable modem.
7. There are air vents on the sides of the Motorola SB6121. The vents allow free airflow and prevent the modem from overheating. However, the presence of the vents also means that you can not lay the modem horizontally.
8. You can find the manual, user guide, and warranty card online. A new user of this modem may need these resources.
1. There is no power button on this cable modem. This means that when you want to switch off your modem, you have to switch it off from the power source. This is not ideal or convenient.
2. The Motorola SB6121 does not have a reset button. Reset buttons are a common addition to many modems and routers. The absence of a reset button makes resetting this modem bothersome.
To reset this modem, you will need to use a web browser to open the web user interface. Afterward, you will need to click the configuration tab and restore the default settings of the modem.
3. They are only 4 upstream and downstream bonded channels. The speed of this modem will be sufficient for simple internet activities. Significantly, the inefficiency of this modem will be prominent when multiple people are trying to use the network at the same time. This modem may also lag when used for streaming or downloading large things.
4. The Motorola SB6121 modem does not come with a router. You will need to purchase a separate router and this is an added cost.
This modem is an excellent choice for individuals who travel a lot. The size of the Arris Motorola SB6121 makes it easy to store and travel with. Speed is not a strong point with this modem.
5 Linksys CM3024
The Linksys CM3024 is one of our favorite modems to use with Cox network. We recommend this modem because it has a fast and steady connection with Cox. At its best, the Linksys CM3024 can operate at a speed of 300 Mbps. Importantly, the speed of your modem will vary according to the broadband plan you use.
There are a few features that contribute to the fast speed of the Linksys CM3024. These features include:
– Intel Puma 6 chipset
– 24 download and 8 upload bonded channels
– Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS ) 3.0
The 3 features listed above improve the download and upload speed gotten from this modem. Furthermore, these features help to ensure that a stable connection is acquired. Therefore, the Linksys CM3024 can be used to download large files, stream movies online, play games and make video calls.
After you receive your modem, you can install it easily. If you would like to connect the modem to a router, you can simply connect the ethernet cable to the router. This modem supports the DOCSIS 3.0 security which will ensure that your network connection is safe and free from external interference.
The Linksys CM3024 is an excellent modem but if you are still wondering if you should purchase this, we can help you. Below are the pros and cons of the Linksys CM3024.
This modem has 24 download and 8 upload bonded channels. Bonded channels refer to when multiple connections are combined to increase the speed or output of the internet device.
Alongside fast speed, bonded channels also increase the efficiency of the Linksys CM3024. The benefit of channel bonding will be prominent if your internet network is connected to multiple devices at a time. Channel bonding will help your modem handle the connections more efficiently.
2. The Linksys CM3024 does not require installation. This modem is a plug and play device. After you take it out of the package, you can connect it to a power source. The ease with which you can install this modem makes it an ideal purchase for individuals who know little about modems.
3. There are LED lights on this modem which shows you what components are working. The lights represent the power, downstream, upstream, link and status.
4. This modem is compatible with any router.
5. The Linksys CM3024 has one ethernet port that can be used to connect the modem to a router. The gigabit ethernet port ensures that data is transferred 10 times faster than normal.
6. This modem supports DOCSIS 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0. With DOCSIS 3.0, the modem can conduct transfers at a speed of up to 960 Mbps.
7. The Linksys CM3024 has a 1-year warranty. If your device stops working before the warranty expires, you should contact customer support.
The Intel Puma 6 chipset is used in this modem. The intel chipset is supposed to improve the speed of the connection. However, some people who have bought this modem have stated that the Intel Puma 6 chipset is flawed. This chipset causes lagging and loss of connection when playing games or streaming videos online.
2. This modem does not have wireless capability. You will need to purchase a router separately.
3. Many users of the Linksys CM3024 have complained that it overheats while it is in use.
If you are a heavy internet user but you are unwilling to pay a lot for a modem, we recommend the Linksys CM3024. However, this modem will not have the sleek appearance of an expensive device.
We hope that this article has advised you on what modem you should purchase while using Cox internet.
Recommended: Best Router for DD-WRT