If you are a Verizon Fios user and you are not satisfied with this service, the problem may be your router. When you subscribe to Verizon Fios, you are given the option of renting a router or purchasing one that is compatible with Verizon Fios. Many individuals choose what they feel is the best and cheaper option, they rent a router. However, renting a router is not always the best course of action. Hence, we present you with the Best Router for Verizon FiOS Internet.
Any time you want to get the best in performance and features, you are going to have to invest a little more. You’ve likely heard the saying – you pay for what you get? Well, that statement could not be truer when it comes to today’s technology and performance. This is why many people are opting for their own DSL/Cable modems, rather than taking the one from their Internet provider. Not only this but without a Verizon Fios modem, you have one less thing to worry about when considering a Fios-compatible router.
The first thing you’ll want to do is compare Verizon router to third-party routers and see where the prices and features stack up. Which are cheaper? Which offers more range? More security? Obviously, the larger the home or space you are dealing with, the more you’ll likely spend to cover the area adequately.
Never underestimate the importance and value of consumer reviews. You don’t just want to blindly trust today’s top review sites, but you’ll want to get multiple opinions. Check several review sites to get a feel for the installation of the modem as well as the ongoing reliability of the services rendered by that modem and manufacturer.
It goes without saying that you’ll spend more for more features, so always keep your household Internet in the back of your mind before potentially overspending. Whatever the situation is, it is highly likely that you’ll come out ahead by owning your own router outright instead of paying monthly fees on a router that won’t likely perform to the best of its abilities.
Here are a few reasons why you should buy routers that work with Verizon FiOS gigabit instead of renting one:
- The routers that are rented out by the internet service providers are usually not the newest models or high-quality devices. If you purchase a device, you will be able to get a newer model.
- It is cheaper to buy a new router. The amount of money you may spend renting the router for a year or two will be enough to purchase a high-quality router that you will own outright.
- You will be able to search for and purchase a router that will meet your needs.
- Owning a router will give you more freedom when changing the settings of the router and customizing it to suit your needs.
- Purchasing a router will allow you to benefit from the manufacturer’s warranty if your device should have a defect.
Verizon FiOS compatible Router (Quick Links)
|Verizon Routers||Max Speed||WiFi Coverage||Bands||Ethernet Ports|
|#1. Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)||3200 Mbps||Up to 3500 sq ft.||Dual-band||4 x 1G|
|#2. Verizon Fios Gateway AC1750 Wi-Fi (G1100)||800 Mbps||325 ft.||Dual-band||4x|
|#3. Linksys WRT AC3200||2600 Mbps||Very large home||Dual-Band||4x|
|#4. ASUS RT-AX88U AX600||6000 Mbps||Very large home||Dual-Band||8x|
|#5. Linksys AC1900 Max-Stream EA7500||1900 Mbps||Up to 1,500 sq. ft.||Dual-band||5x|
|#6. Google WIFi Router OnHub AC1900||1.9 Gbps||Very large home||Dual-band||2x|
|#7. TP-Link AC1750 Router (Archer A7)||1750 Mbps||Up to 2,500 Sq. Ft.||Dual-band||4x|
We have compiled a list of the 7 routers you should consider when you are shopping for a FIOS Compatible modem router. We have also provided a balanced assessment by listing the pros and cons of each of the routers in the list below.
Top 7 Best Router For Verizon Fios Gigabit
Here is our selection of the best Verizon FiOS compatible routers of 2021.
#1. Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
The Nighthawk X6 is a tri-band router with a 1 GHz dual-core processor. The 2.4 GHz, and two 5 GHz bands work together to deliver a speed of up to 3200 Mbps. The speed of this router is excellent for streaming Ultra-HD movies and playing multiplayer games online. The dual-processor in this router ensures that all these processes can run without any network lag.
The external antenna on this router enhances the wifi coverage of the device. The signal of the wifi router can reach 3,500 square feet. These antennas are also useful for eliminating dead zones within the house. Features such as dynamic Qos and beamforming are also used to improve the speed and reach of the wifi signal.
The Nighthawk x6 has high-speed ethernet ports and USB ports that be used for fast cable connections or media sharing.
Setting up this router is easy but you will need to download the application first. Afterward, all you need to do is follow the instructions on the app. With the app, you will also be able to alter the security settings of the router. The Circle App has advanced settings that you will be unable to access using the router alone.
Pros of the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
1. The Nighthawk x6 router uses a tri-bandwidth. This enhances the speed of the wireless connection and makes it perfect for heavy internet users.
2. The router uses beamforming to concentrate the wifi signal on connected devices.
3. This router has coverage of about 3200 square feet. You can conveniently use this device in a large home or office without worrying about dead zones. Furthermore, up to 50 devices can connect to the wireless network without any drop-in connections or speed.
4. You can set up this router without technical support and an installation CD.
5. The router uses WPA, WPA2 wireless security, and firewall protection to protect your wireless network. The security protocol also protects the devices connected to the network.
6. The Circle app can help you control your router even when you are outside your home. Using this app, you can control when your wireless connection can be accessed and the devices that can connect it.
You can also control the websites that can be opened and how long devices can connect to the wifi network. It costs $4.99 every month to use the circle app however the first month is free.
7. The router can work with Alexa voice controls.
Cons of the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
1. This router is expensive, especially for home use. The Nighthawk costs more than $200 and it is worth every penny.
2. The QoS features on this device are minimal.
#2. Verizon Fios Gateway AC1750 Wi-Fi (G1100)
The Fios Quantum Gateway router is manufactured by Verizon and it works perfectly with their internet. This router uses dual-band technology to increase Wi-Fi speed.
The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands work simultaneously and the Self-organizing technology in this router uses these dual frequencies efficiently. Within the router, there is a 3×3 internal antenna that improves the range of wifi coverage and speed of the coverage.
The router has four ethernet ports, one WAN port, and two USB ports. The ethernet ports can operate at a speed of 1 gigabit per second and this makes it suitable for gaming and HD streaming. The USB ports can be used for media sharing to all devices connected to the wireless network.
The Fios Quantum Gateway is popular among users of Verizon Fios. Hence, you may be considering if you should purchase this router. Here are the things we like and dislike about this router.
1. The Verizon Fios Gateway uses dual bands to delivers a speed of up to 800 Mbps. This is not as large as some other routers on our list. However, this speed is sufficient for heavy internet users in a home.
2. This router provides coverage for up to 325 ft. This distance of WiFi coverage may be hampered by a bad network.
3. You can operate this router using the My Fios mobile app (Get it on Google Play or App Store). Routers with mobile apps are easier to manage, operate, and give you some degree of flexibility when you are managing a wireless network.
Using the mobile app, you can manage your wireless connections, review devices connected to your network, and prioritize a device if necessary.
4. You can set parental controls on this router. This feature allows you to decide the kind of websites that can be opened and which devices can connect to the network.
5. The Verizon Fios Gateway uses WPA2 encryption to protect your wireless connection. This makes it difficult to access your wifi networks and eliminates the threat of information theft.
You have the option of creating guest networks for devices if you do not wish to share your router information.
6. The router uses beamforming technology to concentrate wifi signals on the devices that are connected to the network.
7. The ports on this router are high-speed ports and support fast cable connections.
1. Setting up this router can be difficult and you may have to call technical support for help.
2. There are cheaper routers on this list that can rival the speed of the Verizon Fios Gateway.
3. This router is expensive. It is not an ideal purchase for people on a budget. Further, if you do not need the advanced settings of this router, you can buy any of the cheaper routers on this list for your home use.
#3. Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band
Linksys is a household name with it comes to networking, router, and modem technology. And, with that name, they have built an impressive piece of machinery that will handle just about all your Fios needs. This innovative piece of equipment is built with tri-steam 160 technology that is capable of delivering some of the fastest Wi-Fi speeds that never lag.
This is something that is not available with other routers, but that is just the start. The tri-steam 160 technology also double the bandwidth of the 5 GHz band. You’ll be able to power data-heavy activity with ultra-fast 2.6 Gbps Wi-Fi speeds.
- Open Source Firmware
The router comes open source ready, which means that it is already set up for advanced users. Advanced users can quickly and easily modify the router to suit the specific needs of their network. With this type of technology, you can set up a VPN, turn the router into a web server, manage hotspots, manage network traffic, direct network intrusion, and employ any of the other advanced features.
- Easy To Use App
This already impressive router also comes along with an app that can literally be used from anywhere in the world. With a Wi-Fi connection, the username and password of the router, and an Internet-capable device, you can log in monitor, alter, adapt, and change your home or office’s network settings from anywhere in the world.
#4. ASUS RT-AX88U AX600 Dual-Band Wifi Router
Another router that will serve all your Fios needs is the AX600. Although this router is from a lesser-known name than Linksys, it will more than handle all your needs. It even offers some similar features that you’d be able to take advantage of with the WRT AC3200.
- 4×4 Dual-Band
The first thing you need to know about this router is that it is a 4×4 dual-band router. This gives this impressive piece of machinery the ability to provide as much as 160 MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM. With total networking speeds of around 6000Mbps on the 2.4 side and 4804 on the 5GHz side, you won’t have a problem handling any of your Internet needs.
- 8 LAN Ports
There are also eight-gigabit ports that users can take advantage of with this router, making the RT-AX88U the ideal solution for someone with multiple wired devices. Whether you want to install NAS systems, multiple PCs and switch, or host a LAN part at home, you’ll have the option of doing so with this impressive router.
#5. Linksys AC1900 Max-Stream EA7500
The AC1900 is the perfect high-speed router for home use. This router uses dual bands to improve speed. The 2.4 GHz band can reach up to 600 Mbps and the 5 GHz band can reach a speed of 1300 Mbps. Therefore, this router has a combined speed of 1900 Mbps.
This device also uses MU MIMO technology and beamforming to enhance the speed of the router, ensure a stable connection, and target the wireless signal of the device. The router has a coverage of up to 1500 square feet and can connect to up to 15 devices at once.
The AC1900 has four LAN ports, one WAN port, and two USB ports. The LAN ports can be used for gaming, connecting devices like printers, and desktops to the wireless network.
The ethernet ports can transfer data at a speed of 1 gigabit per second and this makes these ports suitable for gaming or data-heavy activities. The USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used for file sharing and cable connections.
It is easy to set up and operate this router. However, the app for the router makes the operation of this router even more easy and flexible.
After examining the details of this router, we have compiled lists of the pros and cons of the AC1900.
1. The Max-Stream EA7500 operates at a high speed that ensures a smooth experience when streaming or gaming.
2. The beamforming technology of this router ensures that the WiFi signal is targeted at connected devices. Hence, all the devices on this network are given equal priority.
3. Installing this router is a straightforward process that does not involve the installation of drivers or software. If you follow the instruction, you will be able to install the router by yourself in a few minutes.
4. The Max-Stream EA7500 has an app that you can use to control your router. On the app, you will be able to manage your WiFi network and see the devices connected to it. You will also be able to change or set parental controls. You can use the app to filter the websites accessed through the WiFi or decide when and how long the wifi can be in use. Guest networks can also be created using the app.
5. This router can connect to up to 15 devices at a time and this is sufficient for most homes.
6. The router has 3 antennas that enhance the coverage that the router has and improves the signal that devices connected to the router received.
1. The Max-Stream EA7500 can provide coverage for up to 1500 square feet. This is enough coverage in a small-medium sized home but there may be some dead zones if the router is used within a medium-large sized home.
2. The firmware of this router is not updated often.
#6. Google WIFi Router OnHub AC1900
Google has created a wireless router in collaboration with ASUS and TP-Link. This unique-looking router is ideal for people who engage in heavy internet use and need broad wireless coverage at a bargain price. The OnHub AC1900 outperforms many similarly priced devices and has similar features as expensive routers.
The OnHub AC1900 uses a dual-core 1 GHz processor to ensure efficient operation of the router and multi-tasking. The router also uses dual bands (2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz frequencies) simultaneously to ensure that the device can reach a wireless speed of 1900 Mbps. This router also has 13 internal antennas that improve the coverage of the router and eliminate dead zones.
There is one USB port, one WAN, and one LAN port that can be used to expand the use of the router. Installing this router is easy and after installing it, you can operate it using the Google OnHub App. With the App, you can alter your router settings, edit the parental control settings, and manage the devices using the wireless network.
If you are still in doubt about if you should purchase this router, we have listed the pros and cons of the OnHub AC1900 below.
1. The OnHub AC1900 is quite fast and ideal for heavy internet users. The use of dual bands ensures that the wireless network’s stability and fast speed are unaffected by interference from other wireless devices. Furthermore, the signal of the wireless connection will remain strong to all connected devices despite heavy internet use by other devices connected to the network.
2. The 13 antennas in this router broadcast signals and provides coverage for over 2500 square feet. The use of antennas reduces the occurrence of dead zones and weak signal spots. For the router to work as intended, you need to keep the router in the open or at the center of your home.
3. You can connect more than 100 devices to your wireless network using this router. If you have a large home, office, or business, you will appreciate this feature.
4. The OnHub AC1900 receives automatic software upgrades; this ensures that you always enjoy the latest features of the router. Your router will also receive security updates and this will ensure that your
network and the devices connected to the network are always protected.
5. You can prioritize a device connected to the router. If multiple devices are connected at a time but one is performing an intensive activity, you can choose to give that particular device priority over all other devices.
6. This router will scan channels often and switch your connection to the faster channel. It can achieve this without disconnecting your wireless connection or altering the speed of the connection.
A network check using the app can also show if anything is hampering the speed of your wireless connection.
7. The OnHub AC1900 has a removable sleeve. While the router looks stylish with its original sleeve, you can replace this sleeve with one that matches your décor or personality. There is a wide variety of sleeve designs that you can purchase.
8. You can share network access with individuals who are not connected to your wireless network by creating guest networks.
9. This router is quite affordable, you can find this for under $65 on Amazon.
1. To set up your OnHub AC1900, you need to download the Google OnHub app. This may be inconvenient for individuals who use basic cell phones or do not have iOS and Android phones.
#7. TP-Link AC1750 Router (Archer A7)
The third item on this list is the Archer A7 because it is affordable but has the features of some expensive routers. This router can be used by heavy internet users and it is suitable for use in a medium-large sized home.
The Archer A7 uses dual-band technology to improve the speed of its wireless connections. The router also uses dual bands to ensure that all connections are stable. This device has a 2.4 GHz band with a speed of 450 Mbps and a 5GHz band with a speed of up to 1300 Mbps.
Hence, the speed of the Archer A7 can reach up to 1750 Mbps. There are 3 external antennas attached to this router. The antennas help to increase the coverage of the wireless network and strengthen the WiFi signal.
They are four ethernet ports, one WAN port, and one USB port on this router. The ethernet ports can be used to connect other devices to the internet via a wired connection and the ports can transfer data at a speed of 1 gigabit per second.
The USB port can connect other devices to the internet as well but it can also be used for media sharing. You can connect a storage device to the USB port and other devices connected to the wireless network will be able to access the files on the storage device.
Wireless connections established using this router are safe because the router uses WPA and WPA2 encryption. This ensures that only authorized devices can use the wireless network.
Many features endear us to the Archer A7 but there are also some downsides of this router. Here are the pros and cons of the Archer A7.
1. The Archer A7 is very fast, Hence, this router is excellent for gaming and streaming 4K HD movies with minimal to no buffering time.
2. This router uses dual frequencies at the same time and this ensures that the wireless network is stable even during intense use. Up to 50 devices can connect to the wireless network and still enjoy a stable connection.
3. The antennas on this device widen the area of wireless coverage. The wireless coverage of the Archer A7 is 2500 square feet. Therefore, everyone within a medium-large size home can enjoy a strong wireless signal.
4. This router is affordable and is easy to find. You can purchase this router for $50 on Amazon.
5. You can use the Alexa voice service to control the activities of your router and manage the devices connected to the router.
6. You can change your device settings and manage the wireless network from your mobile device using the TP-Link tether app.
7. There are 4 ethernet gigabit ports on this router. These ports can be used to create stable, fast-wired connections and this is especially useful when gaming.
8. The Archer A7 has a security protocol designed to protect your wireless network and the devices connected to it. Furthermore, you can also set up parental controls on this router.
9. This router is easy to set up and connecting devices to it is a breeze because of the WPS button.
10. You can switch off the indicator/ LED lights on this router. This feature is not common among other routers.
11. When you purchase this device, you will get a 2-year warranty. If your device has a defect, you can contact the manufacturer or authorized retailer.
1. In theory, this device should be able to reach 1750 Mbps. However, this figure is rarely reached and the speed of the device is dependent on many other factors.
We hope that this list has helped you decide which router you should purchase for your Verizon Fios.
Do You Have To Have A Verizon Fios Modem?
No, the great thing about Fios is that it is pure fiber service. This means that it doesn’t even utilize modems when connecting to the Internet. The service instead uses what is known as an Optical Network Terminal (ONT). This is something that acts like a modem of sorts, but coverts into a fiber signal. You won’t have to worry about a thing when you opt for ONT because the tech will install and handle everything required as soon as you opt for a service plan.
Since there is no Fios modem to worry about these days, your main focus and concern will be on finding a compatible router, which is going to be more difficult than it sounds. Just remember, there is always the potential there to rent a router, but this is something that will run you around $15 a month.
You can even buy the modem outright for $300, but that doesn’t necessarily mean this is your best option either. Sure, the router is compatible with the Internet service you are opting for, but there is no guarantee that this specific modem will provide the best speeds, features, or which is the most reliable?
Choosing the right modem from a third-party provider might not only offer better features and more security for your home network, but it could improve your overall speeds. Not to mention, that it could potentially save you money as well. When you combine and consider all of these things as a whole, it only makes sense to want to invest in an outside modem.
Frequently Asked Questions on Best FiOS Router
What is the cost of renting a Verizon Fios Router?
A Verizon home router will cost you right around $15 a month. You can buy it outright for $300.
Can I get my own Fios Compatible router?
Yes, you can as long as it is compatible.
How do I Connect my Fios router?
Unfortunately, this is something that will vary from device to device. Luckily, each specific device will include directions that will walk you through the process.
Do I need a special router for Fios?
You only need a router that is compatible with the services. Just do your research and get the best router for FiOS gigabit, and ensure the router provides the appropriate speed and compatibility for the Internet package you are signing up for or signed up for.
What WiFi extender works best with Verizon Fios?
This depends on your home or building’s specific needs, as well as the ranges you’re looking to cover. There will be best for different situations. See our list of Wifi extenders for Verizon Fios.
How do I extend my Verizon Fios WiFi Signal?
You’ll have to invest in the right extender. Do your research and make sure you get a compatible extender. You might even just be able to relocate the router or modem, depending on how much more signal you need. It really comes down to your specific needs.
Will Verizon give me a free network extender?
Unfortunately, Verizon will not give you an extender, but they do sell several models that are compatible with their services.
Meet Eriksson Ray. I’m the co-founder of TenWitch.com. Our website is dedicated to the coverage of product reviews, buyer’s guides, best lists, etc. We can help you to choose a new modem/router or troubleshooting your Internet connection.