If you are a Verizon Fios user and you are not satisfied with this service, the problem may be your router. When you subscribe to Verizon Fios, you are given the option of renting a router or purchasing one that is compatible with Verizon Fios. Many individuals choose what they feel is the best and cheaper option, they rent a router. However, renting a router is not always the best course of action.
Here are a few reasons why you should buy a router instead of renting one:
- The routers that are rented out by the internet service providers are usually not the newest models or high-quality devices. If you purchase a device, you will be able to get a newer model.
- It is cheaper to buy a new router. The amount of money you may spend renting the router for a year or two will be enough to purchase a high-quality router that you will own outright.
- You will be able to search for and purchase a router that will meet your needs.
- Owning a router will give you more freedom when changing the settings of the router and customizing it to suit your needs.
- Purchasing a router will allow you to benefit from the manufacturer’s warranty if your device should have a defect.
We have compiled a list of the 7 routers you should consider when you are shopping for a FIOS Compatible modem router. We have also provided a balanced assessment by listing the pros and cons of each of the routers in the list below.
Top 7 Best Router For Verizon Fios
Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
The Nighthawk X6 is a tri-band router with a 1 GHz dual-core processor. The 2.4 GHz, and two 5 GHz bands work together to deliver a speed of up to 3200 Mbps. The speed of this router is excellent for streaming Ultra-HD movies and playing multiplayer games online. The dual-processor in this router ensures that all these processes can run without any network lag.
The external antenna on this router enhances the wifi coverage of the device. The signal of the wifi router can reach 3,500 square feet. These antennas are also useful for eliminating dead zones within the house. Features such as dynamic Qos and beamforming are also used to improve the speed and reach of the wifi signal.
The Nighthawk x6 has high-speed ethernet ports and USB ports that be used for fast cable connections or media sharing.
Setting up this router is easy but you will need to download the application first. Afterward, all you need to do is follow the instructions on the app. With the app, you will also be able to alter the security settings of the router. The Circle App has advanced settings that you will be unable to access using the router alone.
Pros of the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
1. The Nighthawk x6 router uses a tri-bandwidth. This enhances the speed of the wireless connection and makes it perfect for heavy internet users.
2. The router uses beamforming to concentrate the wifi signal on connected devices.
3. This router has coverage of about 3200 square feet. You can conveniently use this device in a large home or office without worrying about dead zones. Furthermore, up to 50 devices can connect to the wireless network without any drop in connections or speed.
4. You can set up this router without technical support and an installation CD.
5. The router uses WPA, WPA2 wireless security, and firewall protection to protect your wireless network. The security protocol also protects the devices connected to the network.
6. The Circle app can help you control your router even when you are outside your home. Using this app, you can control when your wireless connection can be accessed and the devices that can connect it.
You can also control the websites that can be opened and how long devices can connect to the wifi network. It costs $4.99 every month to use the circle app however the first month is free.
7. The router can work with Alexa voice controls.
Cons of the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)
1. This router is expensive, especially for home use. The Nighthawk costs more than $200 and it is worth every penny.
2. The QoS features on this device are minimal.
Verizon Fios Gateway AC1750 Wi-Fi (G1100)
The Fios Quantum Gateway router is manufactured by Verizon and it works perfectly with their internet. This router uses dual-band technology to increase the Wifi speed.
The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands work simultaneously and the Self-organizing technology in this router uses these dual frequencies efficiently. Within the router, there is a 3×3 internal antenna that improves the range of wifi coverage and speed of the coverage.
The router has four ethernet ports, one WAN port, and two USB ports. The ethernet ports can operate at a speed of 1 gigabit per second and this makes it suitable for gaming and HD streaming. The USB ports can be used for media sharing to all devices connected to the wireless network.
The Fios Quantum Gateway is popular among users of Verizon Fios. Hence, you may be considering if you should purchase this router. Here are the things we like and dislike about this router.
1. The Verizon Fios Gateway uses dual bands to delivers the speed of up to 800 Mbps. This is not as large as some other routers on our list. However, this speed is sufficient for heavy internet users in a home.
2. This router provides coverage for up to 325 ft. This distance of WiFi coverage may be hampered by a bad network.
3. You can operate this router using My Fios mobile app. Routers with mobile apps are easier to manage, operate, and give you some degree of flexibility when you are managing a wireless network.
Using the mobile app, you can manage your wireless connections, review devices connected to your network, and prioritize a device if necessary.
4. You can set parental controls on this router. This feature allows you to decide the kind of websites that can be opened and which devices can connect to the network.
5. The Verizon Fios Gateway uses WPA2 encryption to protect your wireless connection. This makes it difficult to access your wifi networks and eliminates the threat of information theft.
You have the option of creating guest networks for devices if you do not wish to share your router information.
6. The router uses beamforming technology to concentrate wifi signals on the devices that are connected to the network.
7. The ports on this router are high-speed ports and support fast cable connections.
1. Setting up this router can be difficult and you may have to call technical support for help.
2. There are cheaper routers on this list that can rival the speed of the Verizon Fios Gateway.
3. This router is expensive. It is not an ideal purchase for people on a budget. Further, if you do not need the advanced settings of this router, you can buy any of the cheaper routers on this list for your home use.
If you are searching for a router that was practically made for Verizon Fios users, the Actiontec MI424WR should be your first choice. This affordable router works excellently with Fios internet and you can enjoy some router features that are available with some of the more expensive routers on this list.
This router can reach a wireless speed of 130 Mpbs. This is not slow but heavy internet users will not be satisfied with this speed. The Actiontec router also has 4 ethernet ports, one WAN port, and one USB port. These can be used for wired internet connections.
The security protocols on the M1425WR include a WEP and WAP encryption. Both of these will keep your information protected and will ensure that unauthorized devices cannot connect to your wireless network.
If you are a Verizon Fios subscriber, you may be wondering if you should purchase this router. To help you decide, we have the pros and cons of the Actiontec MI424WR listed below.
1. This router is affordable. You can purchase a brand new Actiontec M1424WR on Amazon for less than $50. This price is a steal for a simple router without any frills. If you need a cheaper device, you can purchase a used version of this router for $22. The disadvantage of purchasing a used router is that you may be unable to enjoy the warranty protection.
2. The Actiontec M1424WR router supports wired internet connections. If any of your devices do not have wireless capability, you can connect the device to the WiFi using any of the ports on the router.
3. The ports on this router enhance the connectivity you can achieve with the router. There are 4 ethernet ports that you can use to connect desktop, printers, or devices without wireless capability. The ethernet cables can also be used to connect devices that are in dead zones.
There is a USB port on the router which you can connect your storage device to. The data or content of the storage device can then be shared with all the devices and users connected to the wireless network.
4. The ethernet ports on this router are gigabit ports. This means that wired connections using cables can reach a speed of up to 1 gigabit per second.
5. Setting up this router is quite easy, you just have to follow the instructions on the manual.
6. The router comes with security settings that will ensure your data is safe while you are connected to the wireless network. The security protocols will also prevent people from using your wireless network without your authorization.
7. The indicator lights on this router can show you what components of the device are on or off.
Below are some things we do not like about the Actiontec MI424WR.
1. The speed that the Actiontec can reach is insufficient if you want to stream HD videos, download large files, or engage in gaming. Furthermore, this device will mainly be enjoyed by individuals that just want to browse the web or casual web users.
2. The design of this router is not sleek and could take up a bit of space. Furthermore, the red stripe on this router makes it more visible and harder to hide. The router may stick out amid other electronic devices and furniture.
The MR2600 is a high-speed router perfect for Verizon Fios and just under the $100 mark. We recommend this router for its speed and wireless coverage.
The MR2600 has dual-core processors that enable it to carry out multiple processes without lagging or dropping the connection. This device uses dual-band technology to maximize the speed of the device. The 2.4 GHz band has a speed of up to 800 Mbps and the 5 GHz frequency has a speed of 1733 Mbps. Together, the router has a speed of 2533 Mbps.
Furthermore, the MR2600 uses MU MIMO technology to increase the speed of wireless connections even if multiple devices are connected to the wireless connection at the same time.
Beamforming technology is also used to improve the speed and the range of the wireless network. There are 4 antennae on the MR2600; these antennas help to improve the strength of the signal even in areas that are farther away from the router.
The Motorola MR2600 WiFi Router has four gigabit LAN ports, one WAN port, and one USB 3.0 port. These ports enhance the connectivity of this router.
If you are still wondering if you should purchase this router, we are here to help you. Listed below are the pros and cons of the MR2600.
1. This router operates at a fast speed and this allows you to stream movies without buffering time. You can also engage in real-time gaming without experiencing a poor connection.
2. The dual-core processor in this router makes it an excellent router for multitasking. You can use the cable connection, wireless feature, and USB sharing feature all at the same time without the speed or processing being affected.
3. MU MIMO technology is used in this router and this improves the efficiency of the router. Therefore, the speed of the wireless connection will be improved.
4. The MR2600 has broad coverage. You will be able to get a strong signal from this router within 2000-3000 square feet. This area of coverage means that you may be able to receive a signal even outside your home. Some individuals who bought this router have used it in their backyard or in their cars parked outside.
5. The router uses beamforming technology to target the devices connected to the wireless network and prioritize these devices.
6. The MR2600 has security protocols and firewalls that will protect your wireless network and devices linked to the network. You can create guest networks if you want to give foreign devices access to your wireless connection.
7. When you purchase this router, you will get a 2-year warranty from Motorola.
1. The MR2600 does not have a mobile app that you can use to operate your router. A mobile app for your router will help you change parental controls and monitor your wireless network even when you are not at home.
Linksys AC1900 Max-Stream EA7500
The AC1900 is the perfect high-speed router for home use. This router uses dual bands to improve speed. The 2.4 GHz band can reach up to 600 Mbps and the 5 GHz band can reach a speed of 1300 Mbps. Therefore, this router has a combined speed of 1900 Mbps.
This device also uses MU MIMO technology and beamforming to enhance the speed of the router, ensure a stable connection, and target the wireless signal of the device. The router has a coverage of up to 1500 square feet and can connect to up to 15 devices at once.
The AC1900 has four LAN ports, one WAN port, and two USB ports. The LAN ports can be used for gaming, connecting devices like printers, and desktops to the wireless network.
The ethernet ports can transfer data at a speed of 1 gigabit per second and this makes these ports suitable for gaming or data-heavy activities. The USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used for file sharing and cable connections.
It is easy to set up and operate this router. However, the app for the router makes the operation of this router even more easy and flexible.
After examining the details of this router, we have compiled lists of the pros and cons of the AC1900.
1. The Max-Stream EA7500 operates at a high speed that ensures a smooth experience when streaming or gaming.
2. The beamforming technology of this router ensures that the WiFi signal is targeted at connected devices. Hence, all the devices on this network are given equal priority.
3. Installing this router is a straightforward process that does not involve the installation of drivers or software. If you follow the instruction, you will be able to install the router by yourself in a few minutes.
4. The Max-Stream EA7500 has an app that you can use to control your router. On the app, you will be able to manage your WiFi network and see the devices connected to it. You will also be able to change or set parental controls. You can use the app to filter the websites accessed through the WiFi or decide when and how long the wifi can be in use. Guest networks can also be created using the app.
5. This router can connect to up to 15 devices at a time and this is sufficient for most homes.
6. The router has 3 antennas that enhance the coverage that the router has and improves the signal that devices connected to the router receives.
1. The Max-Stream EA7500 can provide coverage for up to 1500 square feet. This is enough coverage in a small-medium sized home but there may be some dead zones if the router is used within a medium-large sized home.
2. The firmware of this router is not updated often.
Google WIFi Router OnHub AC1900
Google has created a wireless router in collaboration with ASUS and TP-Link. This unique looking router is ideal for people who engage in heavy internet use and need broad wireless coverage at a bargain price. The OnHub AC1900 outperforms many similarly priced devices and has similar features as expensive routers.
The OnHub AC1900 uses a dual-core 1 GHz processor to ensure efficient operation of the router and multi-tasking. The router also uses dual bands (2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz frequencies) simultaneously to ensure that the device can reach a wireless speed of 1900 Mbps. This router also has 13 internal antennas that improve the coverage of the router and eliminate dead zones.
There is one USB port, one WAN and one LAN port that can be used to expand the use of the router.
Installing this router is easy and after installing it, you can operate it using the Google OnHub App.
With the App, you can alter your router settings, edit the parental control settings, and manage the devices using the wireless network.
If you are still in doubt about if you should purchase this router, we have listed the pros and cons of the OnHub AC1900 below.
1. The OnHub AC1900 is quite fast and ideal for heavy internet users. The use of dual bands ensures that the wireless network’s stability and fast speed is unaffected by interference from other wireless devices. Furthermore, the signal of the wireless connection will remain strong to all connected devices despite heavy internet use by other devices connected to the network.
2. The 13 antenna in this router broadcasts signals and provides coverage for over 2500 square feet. The use of antennas reduces the occurrence of dead zones and weak signal spots. For the router to work as intended, you need to keep the router in the open or at the center of your home.
3. You can connect more than over 100 devices to your wireless network using this router. If you have a large home, office, or business, you will appreciate this feature.
4. The OnHub AC1900 receives automatic software upgrades; this ensures that you always enjoy the latest features of the router. Your router will also receive security updates and this will ensure that your
network and the devices connected to the network are always protected.
5. You can prioritize a device connected to the router. If multiple devices are connected at a time but one is performing an intensive activity, you can choose to give that particular device priority over all other devices.
6. This router will scan channels often and switch your connection to the faster channel. It can achieve this without disconnecting your wireless connection or altering the speed of the connection.
A network check using the app can also show if anything is hampering the speed of your wireless connection.
7. The OnHub AC1900 has a removable sleeve. While the router looks stylish with its original sleeve, you can replace this sleeve with one that matches your décor or personality. There is a wide variety of sleeve designs that you can purchase.
8. You can share network access with individuals who are not connected to your wireless network by creating guest networks.
9. This router is quite affordable, you can find this for under $65 on Amazon.
1. To set up your OnHub AC1900, you need to download the Google OnHub app. This may be inconvenient for individuals who use basic cell phones or do not have iOS and Android phones.
TP-Link AC1750 Router (Archer A7)
The third item on this list is the Archer A7 because it is affordable but has the features of some expensive routers. This router can be used by heavy internet users and it is suitable for use in a medium-large sized home.
The Archer A7 uses dual-band technology to improve the speed of its wireless connections. The router also uses dual bands to ensure that all connections are stable. This device has a 2.4 GHz band with a speed of 450 Mbps and a 5GHz band with a speed of up to 1300 Mbps.
Hence, the speed of the Archer A7 can reach up to 1750 Mbps. There are 3 external antennas attached to this router. The antennas help to increase the coverage of the wireless network and strengthen the WiFi signal.
They are four ethernet ports, one WAN port, and one USB port on this router. The ethernet ports can be used to connect other devices to the internet via a wired connection and the ports can transfer data at a speed of 1 gigabit per second.
The USB port can connect other devices to the internet as well but it can also be used for media sharing. You can connect a storage device to the USB port and other devices connected to the wireless network will be able to access the files on the storage device.
Wireless connections established using this router are safe because the router uses WPA and WPA2 encryption. This ensures that only authorized devices can use the wireless network.
Many features endear us to the Archer A7 but there are also some downsides of this router. Here are the pros and cons of the Archer A7.
1. The Archer A7 is very fast, Hence, this router is excellent for gaming and streaming 4K HD movies with minimal to no buffering time.
2. This router uses dual frequencies at the same time and this ensures that the wireless network is stable even during intense use. Up to 50 devices can connect to the wireless network and still enjoy a stable connection.
3. The antennas on this device widen the area of wireless coverage. The wireless coverage of the Archer A7 is 2500 square feet. Therefore, everyone within a medium-large size home can enjoy a strong wireless signal.
4. This router is affordable and it is easy to find. You can purchase this router for $50 on Amazon.
5. You can use the Alexa voice service to control the activities of your router and manage the devices connected to the router.
6. You can change your device settings and manage the wireless network from your mobile device using the TP-Link tether app.
7. There are 4 ethernet gigabit ports on this router. These ports can be used to create stable, fast wired connections and this is especially useful when gaming.
8. The Archer A7 has a security protocol designed to protect your wireless network and the devices connected to it. Furthermore, you can also set up parental controls on this router.
9. This router is easy to set up and connecting devices to it is a breeze because of the WPS button.
10. You can switch off the indicator/ LED lights on this router. This feature is not common among other routers.
11. When you purchase this device, you will get a 2-year warranty. If your device has a defect, you can contact the manufacturer or authorized retailer.
1. In theory, this device should be able to reach 1750 Mbps. However, this figure is rarely reached and the speed of the device is dependent on many other factors.
We hope that this list has helped you decide which router you should purchase for your Verizon Fios.
Read also: Best Router for Large Houses.