SuddenLink offers its subscribers a choice of renting a modem for you. It’s like being offered a barbecue grill to cook the meat you have ordered. To be fair, that is actually a pretty intuitive move.
Even though their offer sounds sweet as a candy, it is still better to go look for your own modem. The modems they are offering are all generic. Plus, it removes your chances of picking the best SuddenLink compatible modem that suits your needs.
In addition to that, it is not even a secret that renting a modem is really expensive. In fact, it is actually more expensive to rent for a whole year than buying your own modem. Just think about it. Unless you’re planning on changing modems yearly, you will be spending for the amount of two modems for two years. If you will be using it for four years, then you will be spending an equivalent of four modems. If spending away money is your kind of thing, we will not really judge you, though.
If it’s not, then hop on board. We will help you along the way.
Why should I get my own SuddenLink approved modem?
Alright, alright. You are still probably not that convinced as to why you have to get your SuddenLink approved modem. Here are a few more reasons that will hopefully do the job.
- Save a bit for your guilty pleasure
Just as we mentioned before, renting a modem is damn expensive. SuddenLink asks for ten bucks as a rental fee for each month. That’s one hundred and twenty bucks in a whole year. Now, if you are gonna buy your own modem, this will eventually pay for itself in the future. You can pocket some savings and even get yourself a box of pizza or something. We mean, that’s your money. Go and spend it the way you want to.
- Have a faster net speed
Another thing that makes those generic modems that SuddenLink is wholeheartedly forcing into your home is that it limits your choices when it comes to modem speed. After all, it does not really take into account what speeds you really need. Plus, they do not even have the capability to provide the speed that you are paying for. In simpler terms, you are paying for almonds, but you are just getting scrap peanuts.
- Let the whole house connect to the internet
Obviously, different people mean different network needs. There are those who love to binge-watch movies on the net or play some online games all day long. However, there are also those who don’t really care much about the internet and just use it to check email, browse social media, and do a Google search once in a while. In addition to that, each individual also lives in different spaces. Some live in a mansion, while others live in a shanty. Either way, you must ensure that your modem can reach to the extent you need it to reach. After all, you would want your internet to reach your bedroom for some good night fun.
The killer combo: a modem and router duo
If you didn’t really understand what we’re trying to say, don’t fret. You can get a modem and router separately or buy them together. You probably already guessed, we are vouching for the latter. Here are some reasons why.
- It’s cheaper – buying a modem and a router together is a lot cheaper than buying them together. As you have probably already guessed, we are big on promoting not spending your money so much.
- It saves space – If you opt to buy a device that does the work of two units, it goes without saying that you will only need to clear a space for one instead of two. Maybe even set up a stand or figurine in lieu of the missing piece.
- Set it up without a hitch – Similarly, since you only have one piece of unit to set up, it halves the time and effort of setting up two units. You can just grab some grub after setting up one unit, rather than needing to set up another one.
How do I set up a new SuddenLink modem or modem/router
Setting up a new modem or modem/router is actually pretty easy. You just need to follow a few really really simple steps. Yes, really.
- The first thing and most important thing that you should always do is to plug the new modem. We don’t mean to post it on social media or anything. Just plug it into an outlet.
- Next up is getting the coaxial cable. That’s the cable with a ring attachment to it and a poking wire in the middle. Then, insert it to the wall jack on one end and insert the other end on the modem.
- Get the ethernet cable next. This one is the cable with clip-like ends. This one connects to the back of your computer and the back of your modem.
- Time to do some techy stuff. Go open your computer and open a browser. There should be an address listed on your modem. Go and enter that address.
- Finally, read and follow the steps. It should be very self-explanatory by then.
A bit of a tip. Connecting those cables is as simple as solving that shape puzzle as a kid. Just look where the ends would fit and you are good to go.
Since operating a modem or modem/router needs the technical experience to some extent, you might feel a bit, if not very much, lost during the process. We are your very handy dandy guide, so we have gathered and answered some of the most frequently asked questions. It ranges from logging in to resetting the modem. Hopefully, you will be a guru when it comes to operating your own modem after this.
How to login in SuddenLink router?
Got you! If you can’t figure out the fourth step on our how to list above, there’s absolutely nothing to worry about. Since a lot of people have also asked that same question, we have gone and done it. We have created another step by step guide that will teach you how to login to your router. Without further ado, let us start.
- First things first, go and check if you have a good network. If you have no internet, you will obviously fail to log inside the server.
- Now that that’s over with, go press on the address bar. Then, type 192.168.0.1 on there and hit enter. That should redirect you to the server. If it doesn’t, you either typed it wrong or you don’t have good internet.
- You will know that you are on the right page if there are two boxes. One is asking for a username and the other is asking for a password. Type in cusadmin on the username designated box. The default password is password. Yeah. Very ingenious, right? Now stop laughing and do it.
- Finally, scan the four corners of the screen. Make sure that there’s no speck of dust or any weird static. If there are, maybe it is time to buy a new computer. After that, touch the screen and blow at the back of your hands for five seconds. This should help you access the server easier. Just kidding, just click the login button and that should redirect you to another page. If it does not, double-check your spelling. There are supposed uppercase letters and numbers, then try again.
How can I change the default password?
After accessing the page, we know that you do not really trust the default password. After all, these passwords are generated by some random formula or whatnot. You just can not feel any sort of assurance with what SuddenLink gave you for a password. That is very valid. After all, who likes letting your bratty neighbor leech of your internet. Here is how you can be a master password manipulator.
- First, you’ll have to go to your browser and go to the official SuddenLink website. Of course, you should also ensure that you do have an internet connection before going there.
- After getting on their website, you would be asked to log in again. Just input your credentials and then press login. Do not worry, you’re the one who asked this. If they ask for your credit card details, run. You are on the wrong web page.
- After logging in, go browse the page. Search for a gray icon that looks like a gear. Click that and that should redirect you to the ‘Settings’ page.
- Once on the settings page, go browse and search for the ‘Passwords & security’ tab. Click that and you will be redirected on another page.
- On that page, look for the ‘Change Password’ option. Scan through the page. It should be somewhere around there.
- Finally, go and follow the steps indicated. Type in your current password and the new password that you like. You can either go the old boring way of setting your passwords like words and such or you can go the witty way. However, do not use a “password” as a password. That is already taken. Think along the lines of “I don’t know”, so when people ask for the password you can just say “I don’t know”.
How do I reset the SuddenLink router?
If for some reason you want to reset your SuddenLink router, but don’t know how to. Too bad for you. Just kidding. Of course, we will help you. It does not matter if your reason is as shallow as you are under lockdown because of some epidemic or just straight-up bored.
Resetting your SuddenLink router is actually really really simple. You only need to follow two really really simple steps.
- First is you will have to unplug the router. Do this by disconnecting the power cord situated at the back of the router. Sounds easy enough? Good.
- The second is to plug the power cord back in and wait for 30 seconds. Why? Do not ask why just do it. You can go drink tea, eat snacks, or whatever just wait for thirty seconds. Then, that’s it. You’ve successfully reset your router.
If that does not do what you want it to do or if you are still bored, you can also opt to do a factory reset. This one is less physical and more technical. If you are just bored, you can even pretend like some sort of movie hacker while doing this. Just make sure that nobody is watching or it can get pretty awkward.
Here is how you can do a factory reset.
- First, go back to the SuddenLink website again. After that, go click that gray gear icon again to access the settings page and look for the setup page.
- After reaching the page, go towards the Administration tab and click it. You will see multiple other tabs. From there, select the Factory Default sub-tab.
- Finally, go browse that page and look for the Restore Factory Default option. Click that and you’re good to go. You can now pretend to wipe a lot of sweat from your forehead. You have successfully hacked (roleplay) a very intricate system.
How can I reset the SuddenLink modem?
Just like the router, you can also choose to reset your sudden link modem. Usually, this is done when the net is getting cranky and making your videos load a thousand times longer. Or… when you are bored again. Yup, we just saw your eyes gleam right now. You just have another thing to do to satisfy your boredom. Go and get your coat and sunglasses before we proceed.
Doing this is actually pretty similar to resetting the router.
- First, unplug the modem too by disconnecting the cable at the back of the modem.
- Second, you put it back in again. Wait for thirty seconds. If you do not want to do what you did before, then go back here and read this article again. Once you’ve reached this point, you have certainly waited for more than thirty seconds.
- Lastly, go and open a browser. This is to check whether or not the internet is back on working. If it is not, then we have failed to solve anything. Go call SuddenLink and tell that customer service guy that resetting the modem does not work.
List of SuddenLink approved modem and routers
We have been spouting a lot about getting yourself a modem, but you still probably have no idea what modem to get. First and foremost, you can not just go and grab any available modem out there. Not all modems are suitable for SuddenLink. There are some technical hocus pocus as to why and we will not be boring you with that. Just keep in mind that not all modems can accommodate SuddenLink. As such, it is very important to take note of what kind of model you are opting to buy. After all, you do not want to make a purchase that will be rendered useless in the future.
So, we took the liberty of gathering a list of different kinds of SuddenLink compatible modems. This should be a pretty handy guide when choosing a personal modem.
R = Router, M = Modem, C = Modem Router Combo
|Arris SB6141||M||150 Mbps||8×4||Sudden Internet 150|
|Arris SB6183||M||500 Mbps||16×4||Sudden Internet 400|
|Motorola MB7220||M||100 Mbps||8×4||Sudden Internet 100|
|Motorola MB7420||M||500 Mbps||16×4||Sudden Internet 400|
|Netgear CM400||M||100 Mbps||8×4||Sudden Internet 100|
|Netgear CM500||M||500 Mbps||16×4||Sudden Internet 400|
|Netgear CM600||M||500 Mbps||24×8||Sudden Internet 400|
|TP-Link TC-7610||M||100 Mbps||8×4||Sudden Internet 100|
|TP-Link TC-7620||M||500 Mbps||16×4||Sudden Internet 400|
|Zoom 5345||M||100 Mbps||8×4||Sudden Internet 100|
|Zoom 5370||M||500 Mbps||16×4||Sudden Internet 400|
|Arris SBG6400 N300||C||100 Mbps||8×4||300 Mbps||Sudden Internet 100|
|Arris SBG6580 N600||C||100 Mbps||8×4||600 Mbps||Sudden Internet 100|
|Arris SBG6700-AC AC1600||C||100 Mbps||8×4||1600 Mbps||Sudden Internet 100|
|Arris SBG6900-AC AC1900||C||500 Mbps||16×4||1900 Mbps||Sudden Internet 400|
|Arris SBG7580-AC AC1750||C||1000 Mbps||32×8||1750 Mbps||Sudden Internet 1 Gig|
|Motorola MG7550 AC1900||C||500 Mbps||16×4||1900 Mbps||Sudden Internet 400|
|Netgear C6250 AC1600||C||500 Mbps||16×4||1600 Mbps||Sudden Internet 400|
|Netgear C7000 AC1900||C||500 Mbps||24×8||1900 Mbps||Sudden Internet 400|
|TP-Link Archer CR700 AC1750||C||500 Mbps||16×4||1750 Mbps||Sudden Internet 400|
|Amped ALLY-0091K||R||1900 Mbps|
|Asus RT-AC66U_B1||R||1750 Mbps|
|Asus RT-N12||R||300 Mbps|
|D-Link DIR-880L||R||DOCSIS 3.0|
|Google NLS-1304-25||R||4500 Mbps|
|TP-Link Archer C50||R|
We understand that this is still a lot of choices to choose from. We’re not going to just lay all that down and let you choose on your own. By now, you should know that we got your back. To ease the burden of choosing from you, we have chosen five of what we think is the best among them and reviewed them for you. This is a more comprehensive review that will help you choose that elusive one.
What are the best SuddenLink compatible modems and routers?
As we have said, we have chosen five of these bad boys for you. Without any further ado, here they are.
#1. Arris SBG6900-AC AC1900
Why is this cool and not drool?
The ARRIS SBG6900 is one cool durable, but highly performing modem. Think about the Rambo of modems. It is very hard to kill, but at the same time also does a very amazing job of what it is supposed to be doing. It boasts of having an upload speed of up to 1900 Mbps and a download speed of up to 686 Mbps. If you do not have any idea of how fast that is, that is very fast.
It also has WiFi beamforming technology, and 16 download and 4 upload channels. That alone ensures excellent coverage. Of course, it also goes without saying that it comes second to none when it comes to performance.
The ARRIS assures its buyers a powerful network signal, strong cable connection, and superb signal strength. Simply speaking, it ensures you that you will no longer have to wait for that endless dots to circle around itself for eternity. It is capable of handling fast enough internet speed to allow you to download or upload pictures and videos without any interruptions. Talk about convenience.
It has advanced dedicated hardware and unparalleled wireless technology. These characteristics alone ensure durable and long-lasting performance. As such, it is one of the best models in the market today.
Here are some pros and cons that will help you decide further.
- Along with the modem, it also offers a two-year limited warranty
- This model will not give you a hard time installing it
- The WiFi beamforming feature ensures maximum internet coverage and superior WiFi performance
- Having a WiFi speed of up to 1900 Mbps, it is perfect for streaming the highest qualities of movies and playing online games
- The Dual-band router and built-in wireless capability provides a reliable and strong connection, as well as consistent speed throughout every nook and cranny of the house
- The unit itself is a bit big and takes quite a large amount of space
- The light from the LEDs in front of the modem is a bit too bright and could be a bother to light-sensitive people
#2. Google NLS-1304-25
Why is it cool and not drool?
The amazing thing about Google NLS WiFi is that it is a very very worthwhile purchase. That means it covers a huge part of the house for a not so expensive price. We are talking about one sachet of shampoo that can last for a month. Yeah, that level of worth. In addition to that, it also has a WiFi mesh system.
This system features a complete set of controls. Not only that! These are elegant and luxurious designs. So if you are thinking that this is some ugly piece of junk because of its price, you are most definitely incorrect. The unit both look posh and neat.
The device also has an app. You know, like most Google products. Next time we know, there will be a Google breathing app. We are not really complaining, though. After all, the app utilizes the settings further. The app allows the user to constantly monitor the network, points, and all the devices connected to it. It is like having a CCTV, but minus the video and everything are only numbers and statistics.
There is also an internet speed test so you know how fast or how slow your network is. You may also opt to use this to measure the health of the connection points. Also, it has a WiFi test that measures the connection strength from within the network.
It does not end there. The device itself has an automatic repair feature. This feature is designed to allow the unit to do something when one or more points lose power or are accidentally unplugged. This way, if one point is unplugged or disconnected, the whole house will not suffer and you will not have to search every nook and cranny to figure out what happened. Now, is this not some sci-fi Esque coolness? You bet it is! Anyway. In summary, Google WiFi can provide amazing performance while making sure that every part of the house has access to the internet.
This is the one to go if you are looking for maximum coverage.
There is no such thing as perfect. Well, fine. Except me. So here are some pros and cons of the Google NLS-1304-25
- This device provides a lot more than what it is worth
- This device is very easy to install and to set up
- This device provides a seamless WiFi coverage, which means it does not have buffering or dead zones
- This device has a minimalist design, which is both nice to look at and only takes very little space. It is even possible to hide it in plain sight.
- The app accompanying the device allows the user to give prioritization to certain devices and even share the WiFi password to guests
- This model has a bit lower AC rating compared to the others
- This device has limited hardware control and Ethernet connections
#3. Netgear C7000 AC1900
The Netgear C7000 can be considered as some sort of The Flash when it comes to modems. It has both amazing speed and impressive processing power. These two alone makes it stand out from the whole crowd. In terms of speed, we are talking about wireless speeds reaching up to 1.9 Gbps.
If you do not have any idea how fast that is, just keep in mind that we were only talking about Mbps before. Now, we are talking giga! To allow this, the unit is actually equipped with a powerful 1.6GHz processor. This enhances the unit’s performance which allows high-quality streaming and massive online gaming.
It also boasts of having 600Mhz for the DOCSIS 3.0 modem, 256 MBs of RAM, and a 128 MB flash memory. Having all of these powerful processors is like having the Justice League at your disposal. We are talking about Superman, Batman, you get it. As such, the Netgear is more than capable enough to handle large amounts of internet and local traffic without decreasing its performance.
This modem model also has impressive security features. It has guest network access, double firewall protection DoS attack prevention, customized URL, and WiFi-protected access. Just listing them down makes us feel very secure already. What more when they are already doing their own thing. That is just like having the Avengers and the Justice League on your side. Damn, nobody can pierce through your network!
As impenetrable your security is, there are still some ups and downs regarding this model. Here are its pros and cons
- This model allows you to save for up to one hundred and fifty bucks a year in equipment rental fees
- This model has the ability to smartly select between dual bands, which ensures maximum speed with minimal interference
- This model has an amplified technology and beamforming technology which ensures strong and reliable WiFi coverage
- This model has WPA/WPA2 wireless security which adds up to its set of security features ensuring maximum security
- This model can support internet plans of up to 400 Mbps which makes it suitable for high-quality streaming and gaming
- This model is quite bigger compared to the other models
- This model is a bit more expensive compared to the other models
- There are some instances of the unit automatically resetting to factory default
- The backup battery of the model only powers the function of the phone
#4. Netgear CM500
The CM500 is overall one of the best models out there. Like, yeah it has everything that you are looking for, but we are going to name a few reasons why. First and foremost, it has a 16×4 channel bonding and can even reach download speeds of up to 686 Mbps. This is not the fastest, but this is definitely still fast enough.
After all, you do not need a NASA level internet speed at home. This speed will already allow you to seamlessly stream high definition videos and play games all day long. In addition to that, it has a Gigabit Ethernet port that can instantly transmit this speed to your local network.
Next up is that CM500 is very reliable. It is like a doting parent that is always ready to give you some piece of tender love and care. It is designed with modern technology and advanced features. As such, this model can easily minimize the amount of interference and enables you to party with your more stable and reliable connection. Now, that is tougher than most superglue out there.
Finally, the sleek and slender design makes our mouth water. The model’s wonderful aesthetic can complement all of your expensive networking equipment in a lucrative and elegant manner. Just think about putting a bright red cherry on top of your already amazing and mouth-watering parfait.
As much as that parfait looks and tastes amazing, there are still some things to consider. Here are the CM500’s pros and cons.
- This unit is compatible with any kind of WiFi router
- This unit will not give you the tiniest bit of a hard time setting up and installing
- This unit is two point eight times faster compared to the older models with N-technology
- This unit’s dual-band technology enables you to enjoy gaming without any lags and seamless high definition video streaming
- This unit is built to handle more than 300 Mbps speed which ensures a reliable and fast internet speed.
- This unit’s cable internet compatibility list is a bit lacking
- This unit can get a little warmer compared to the other models
#5. Arris SB6183
The Arris SB6183 is simply amazing because of the noteworthy speed and performance it provides its user. Just like the previous Arris, this also has sixteen downloads and four upload channels. We are starting to think that this is their kind of standard. Hey, we are not complaining. Just stating.
Theoretically speaking, this unit can reach a maximum speed of 686 Mbps. It is also capable of immediately shifting from an unpowered state into a fully functional state. Just like when the Transformers are transforming. Just minus the cool creaking and robotic sound effects. In addition to that, it can do all that within half a minute’s time. The same amount you have to wait when resetting your modem or modem/router! This makes the Arris one of the fastest cable modems in the market right now.
Topping it all off, this unit also has a two-year warranty. This basically gives Arris an edge over the other Netgear models which only offers meager one-year protection. There are a lot of things that can happen during that extra year, you know. Moreover, Arris is also equipped with the Broadcom BCM33843D chipset, which further pats you in the back and says “this model is damn reliable and stable, my friend.”
Reading this far, you already know the drill. There is still some stuff to consider and also kind of a rundown. Here are some pros and cons for the Arris.
- This modem has a two-year warranty that will compensate for any acts of clumsiness on the manufacturer’s part
- This modem is compatible with any major U.S. cable internet provider
- This modem has 16×4 channel bonding which delivers an amazing and reliable high-speed internet experience
- This modem is perfect for multiple device streaming and gaming at the same time
- This modem has visible status lights which allow you to know if there are any issues with your internet connection
- This modem may run a bit hotter compared to the other modems
- This modem’s coaxial cable has a bit of awkward placement
It is no exaggeration to say that choosing the most suitable SuddenLink-compatible modem is no easy feat. After all, it took us this long trying to explain and help you choose one. We do hope that we did help you.
We have even narrowed down your choices to five. All of these models are both easy to install and provide satisfactory speed for a simple WiFi plan. On the other hand, we still greatly urge you to give everything a thorough read before choosing one. Make sure that you have found the correct device that suits your needs best!